Become Our Literary Intern!
A Red Orchid Theatre (AROT) is an ensemble of artists dedicated to the proliferation of live theatre in the modern world. We believe that theatre is the greatest sustenance for the human spirit and approach our work with a palpable sense of social compassion, aesthetic rigor, and honesty. By presenting new plays from all over the world and by reviving insightful works from the past that bear new relevance today, we aim to seek out and build new audiences for the modern stage.
AROT is currently seeking a Literary Intern! This 6 month-long position is part of a multi-year strategy to expand our literary department, deepen relationships with playwrights, and actively solicit submissions of new, developing, and experimental works. The Literary Intern will work directly alongside our Associate Artistic Director and Ensemble to sustain AROT’s role as a regional, national, and international leader in reinvigorating lesser-known classics and incubating bold new works. We encourage you to apply by May 1, 2022!
The Literary Intern will research scripts, facilitate engagement with those scripts, and assist in all administrative tasks related to season programming. Tasks include:
- Soliciting, reading, and responding to script submissions
- Assisting the Associate Artistic Director with curating an open and evolving reading list for the Ensemble, which will include the best of these submissions, Ensemble member suggestions, contemporary, and classic works that align with AROT’s aesthetic and mission
- Attending plays at Chicago theatres with the goal of identifying potential scripts and playwrights of interest
- Researching works being produced by like-minded theatres in other cities as well as writers and works being recognized by national awards and curated lists
- In conjunction with Associate Artistic Director and Ensemble, developing targeted campaigns to solicit and/or commission new works
- Facilitating the existing internal play-readings toward season selection
- Aiding in all administrative tasks regarding season selection, including the securing of rights, engagement of writers, etc.
- Serving as a point of contact for writers whose work is premiering or otherwise being produced at AROT
- Assisting production dramaturgs as needed and requested by the dramaturg and production director
Successful candidates will:
- Be positive-minded, team-oriented, diligent, organized, timely, and detail driven
- Embrace and admire theatre and the arts’ capacity for inspiration and positive change
- Possess knowledge and experience related to dramatic literature, dramaturgical research, playwriting, and script analysis
- Remain committed to the values and mission of our organization
- Possess proficiency with Microsoft Office and data management systems
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal skills
We highly value teamwork, real-time communication and collaboration. We are looking for someone to grow with us in a fun, engaging, and highly creative environment.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a paid internship that will last approx. 6 months. The position will begin July 5 and go through December 16th. The internship is 24 weeks with a stipend of $3,360. The Literary Intern can expect to work 10 hours per week with a flexible, hybrid schedule. The Intern may receive college credit as determined by their college or university.
A Red Orchid Theatre is committed to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
A Red Orchid Theatre defines equity, diversity, and inclusion as reaching beyond ourselves to create art that reflects society. As a company committed to honoring the human spirit, we feel it is crucial to practice what we preach about social compassion and honesty. We are committed to examining ourselves, our culture, and our policies and making anti-racism a central, core value.
Additionally, A Red Orchid Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in our hiring process. Women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. AROT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Literary Intern Application | [Your Name].
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position
- 3 professional references with email and phone contact information
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, but we encourage you to apply by May 1, 2022.